Faculty candidate seminar of possible interest to AIDB folks

Folks:
 Here is a seminar by prospective faculty candidate--that will happen next Monday. Since the talk is related
to AIDB areas--I thought several of you might be interested in going to the talk.

Rao

"Creation and Coordination of Internet Agents"

Hasan Davulcu*
Stony Brook, New York
April 22
nd
10:30a.m.  11:30a.m.
GWC room 487

The growing importance of the Web as the medium for electronic commerce has given rise to a proliferation of Internet Agents. These are software robots that extract and process information about products and services from Web sources. Such data, which requires traversing links and filling out forms, is beyond the reach of keyword-based search engines. Creating Internet agents and coordinating a network of such agents to accomplish complex tasks, such as web-enabled logistics planning and virtual enterprises, are problems of increasing importance.

In this talk we first discuss the computational aspects underlying the creation of Internet agents. We show that in general they are computationally difficult. We then describe practical algorithms for creating agents semi-automatically based on the idea of ``learning by examples''. We will demonstrate a tool based on this idea.  Semi-automated techniques are adequate
for building up to several hundreds of agents, but not thousands. The key observation is that knowledge embedded in the examples required for semi-automatic methods can sometimes be succinctly captured in a domain-specific ontology. We will discuss techniques that rely on such
ontologies for creating agents automatically and thereby significantly enhancing scalability.  We will illustrate the applicability of these techniques in mining service directories from web sources.

Finally we will discuss issues in modeling and coordinating agents that are put together to accomplish a complex task.  We introduce a novel logic, based on game theoretic concepts, for modeling interaction among a number of potentially non-cooperative agents.  We will show how it can be used to model, verify and coordinate efficiently. We will present algorithms for reasoning using this logic and discuss their complexity.

*Prospective Faculty
Hasan Davulcu is a Ph.D. candidate from State University of New York at Stony Brook.  He received his MS in computer science from the State University of New York at Stony Brook in 1995.  He has also been involved in efforts to develop ontology directed information extraction (IE) systems to understand the semantics of unstructured data. His work in IE has been supported by a Phase I, Small Business Innovation Research Grant from NSF.  His work so far has resulted in 7 publications in prestigious conferences such as ACM SIGMOD, ACM PODS, SIAM Data Mining and several commercial systems. His principal research area has been Intelligent Agent and Workflow coordination technologies.  You can view Hasan’s homepage at: http://www.cs.sunysb.edu/~davulcu.