Ph.D. Proposal Announcement: Ullas Nambiar 5/14: 2:30pm

Dear All:

 Enclosed please find the Ph.D. Proposal Announcement of Ullas Nambiar. Your presence is welcome!

regards
Rao

Computer Science & Engineering Department

PhD Dissertation Prospectus Defense
 Answering Imprecise Queries over Autonomous Databases

by
Ullas Nambiar

Friday, May 14th, 2004
2:30 PM
BY 655

Committee
Dr. Subbarao Kambhampati (Chair)
Dr. Selcuk Candan
Dr. Huan Liu
Dr. Hasan Davulcu
Dr. Gautam Das (Microsoft Research Labs)

 Abstract
Supporting imprecise queries over Web-accessible databases would allow users to quickly find relevant answers. Current approaches for answering queries with imprecise constraints require users to provide distance metrics and importance measures for attributes of interest. Moreover they assume the ability to modify the architecture of the underlying database. Given that most Web databases are autonomous and may have users with limited expertise over the associated domains, current approaches for answering imprecise queries are not applicable to Web databases.

In this thesis, we propose a query processing framework that integrates techniques from IR and database research to efficiently determine answers for imprecise queries over autonomous databases having a relational model.  Specifically, we have developed two approaches for answering an imprecise query by identifying and executing a set of precise queries similar to the imprecise query.  Our technical contributions include (1) a domain-independent approach for deciding semantic distances between values of categorical attributes, and (2) an approximate functional dependency based approach for determining the relaxation order and the importance weights of attributes. We demonstrate the utility of our approaches and the accuracy of our answers by performing usability tests and provide results.

Our proposed research will involve setting up a test bed to evaluate the efficiency and robustness of our approaches over a fielded autonomous Web database.  Further, given that relevance is a subjective notion, we will develop approaches to tune our results and similarity measures using feedback given by the user. Finally, we plan to apply our techniques to the problem of efficiently answering an imprecise query over multiple autonomous distributed sources that overlap.

Open to public!