Regarding class attendance...

Folks:

 As I mentioned in the first class, (take a look at the very second
slide of the introductory lecture--titled grading etc.--attendance to
lectures is mandatory and not optional.

  As an experiment, I took random attendance signup today, and found
that there were 34 students in class. According to the current class
roster there are 46 students still enrolled in the class--which means
we have 12 (25%) students AWOL.  I do have three other informal random
snapshots of attendance-- in the form of homeworks that are not picked
up when I distributed them in the class and I know there are several
students who have missed more than 2 classes without prior
notification.

 I can understand people missing a class or two *with* prior notice, but to the
extent you find lectures hard to attend for whatever reason, I
seriously encourage you to consider withdrawing from the course.

 If this sounds too grade-schoolish for your taste, that is fine by
me. I don't particularly believe in teaching correspondence courses.

regards
Rao
[Oct  7, 2003]
Subbarao Kambhampati
Professor, Dept. of Comp Sci. and Engg. Arizona State University,
Tempe, AZ 85287-5406  rao@asu.edu (email)
480-965-0113 (Phone)
480-965-2751 (FAX)
WWW: http://rakaposhi.eas.asu.edu