Fw: Game Playing: Chess vs. Go

Sounds interesting--but I don't know GO (and barely know chess), so I
really can't tell if William is making it all up..

One point that I could add even without understanding Go is the
following--in Chess, progress came not by design of very good
evaluation functions, but by designing special purpose hardware that
searched the heck out and went a few ply deeper than before.

(on a related note, it is interesting as to why applying the same
heuristic evaluation function deeper down the search tree and backing
up values is better than applying it higher up--the answer, that we
will discuss briefly next week, is that going deeper allows you to see
obvious traps.)

Rao

--- Begin Message ---
The massive branching factor is of course one of the largest obstacles, but it isn't the most important: even if one could look ahead 12 moves, there is no clear evaluation heuristic for board positions which comes close to h*.

I.e., in chess you can just count material value and maybe have a small pattern database for elements of good position (ie: strong castle'd king in the midgame is (almost) always nice).  In go....there is nothing quite as obvious or effective.

The main reason behind this, I feel, is that it is very difficult to set up a position that is truly unassailable -- and doing so early in the game usually means that you end up losing (because one played too slowly).  So counting the 'value' of a board position is very difficult since any particular piece of the board that you decide to claim as 'yours' could easily be invaded until very very late in the game.  (what you do is make sure that being invaded is unprofitable in the long run (the sneakier you are, the longer it takes before it is obvious that it was unprofitable), but possible)

The other reason that the traditional search model developed for chess fails on go is that, in go, greedy play loses.  Attempting to maximize any naive heuristic value over a lookahead tree is the essence of greediness -- and it will cause one to end up with a weak position.  Of course, if one had non-naive heuristic (something reasonably close to h*) then it would be a different matter -- but as that isn't the case, the trick is to have several heuristic functions which attempt to describe various attributes of a board (the two most important being territory and power), and try to maintain a balance between them, and between the two players, for the majority of the game.  'Real' games are won by as little as 1 point, and as much as 7-10 points -- games that are won by more than that indicate serious errors of judgement.  (one starts to earn handicaps if one loses by more than 10 points).  Which makes sense, a long game with a huge branching factor between even players should end evenly most of the time.  (as opposed to a short game with a small branching factor, where landslide victory should be common, and 'even' players would have even records over many rounds of play).

That, at least, is my opinion, having destroyed the strongest computer opponent I have available over and over and over .... again ;).

-Will