Re: K-Means

The distance is application dependent. For the present case, distance should be seen as inverse of similarity.

rao

At 12:40 PM 5/9/2001 -0700, you wrote:
Hi,

    I have a question on the fifth problem.  With the k-means algorithm, each iteration the new cluster center is the item that is closest to the mean of the cluster.  What is not clear to me is how is distance from the cluster center defined for each document.  Is it Euclidean distance, or the similarity between a document and the mean cluster center, or some other metric?

--Thank you
Jeremy