more on the take home version of the exam..

Some people complained that the idea of computing the weighted average
of the in-class and at-home marks may hurt people who don't have any
additional time left to work on the exam at home (in as much as the
curve for the class may be modified).

To handle this "concern", I will consider the additional marks if any
that people get by doing the test at home as "extra credit".

(so if you got 30 in class, and 60 at home, and I used w=.8, your
weighted marks would have been 24+12=40, which is an increase of 10
points on your in-class performance. These 10 points will be
considered extra credit for you.)

Since the final grade cutoffs will be determined without extra credit
points, this should handle the curve worries.

Rao
[Mar 21, 2001]