Regarding today's exam..

I started grading the exam. Based on my biased sampling of about 8
papers, the current highest is 61.5 and lowest is 11.5 and mean seems
to be around 30.

If any of you feel that you did not do as well as you expected because
of the time pressure, you are welcome to re-do the exam at home and
bring it to Monday's class. My normal practice is to use a formula of
this type in computing the midterm grade:

 your marks = Max (your-in-class-marks,
                     (w* your-in-class-marks + (1-w)*your-at-home-marks))

(w is some constant between .6 and .8 depending on my mood).  Thus,

you can never do worse than what you did in class, and so this thing
is completely optional.

The at-home-version of the exam will be graded by the TA.

If you are doing it, you need to state on the paper that you did not
discuss the answers with anyone.

you can get a copy of the exam from

http://rakaposhi.eas.asu.edu/cse494/exam1.pdf

Rao