markoviana: A Spring reading group (for credit!)

Dear all:

Hope y'all had a good break and are back afresh.

I would like to organize a reading group devoted to reading papers on probabilistic reasoning this semester
(starting either this or next week). I am willing to offer independent study credits for the reading group
(1 credit for attending and keeping up with readings, 2 for making one presentation and 3 for making
2 presentations; all grades to be Y/F).

At this point, I am trying to see who will be interested in attending the reading group (please note that I am quite
a curmudgeon about regular attendance...)

The group will meet every week for about 2 hours (at a time to be decided), and will read papers on a variety of
papers related to the following topics at least:

1. Estimation, Filtering and Kalman Filters etc.

2. Bayes nets and markov random fields

3. MDP and POMDP with emphasis on policy construction methods

4. Reinforcement learning

5. Kernel machines (support vector machines etc).

6. Other topics to be decided

These are some of the topics that I am interested in learning myself; so the reading group will be run as a true research seminar
(I don't expect to be able to teach most of the topics).

Please send me a mail ASAP if you are interested in attending (and also indicate if you would want to take it for credit).

I would like to try and organize a planning meeting this week for the interested folks.

Rao