Ethical considerations of a large-scale search engine [Fwd: Google Vs Evil]

ACM asks that we discuss ethical issues---those black-and-white imperatives in this glorious world of textured and hued
grays--- as part of CS courses.

I can think of no better way of doing that for this course
than to ask you to read the following article, kindly brought to my attention by Kanav Kahol.

It brings up some of the ethical issues in running a large-scale "only game in town" search engine.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.01/google.html

As the balding host of the erst-while Columbia School of Journalism seminars on PBS used to say:

"Not to make-up your mind, but to open it.
To make the agony of decision-making so intense
that you can escape only by thinking."

Happy Holidays

Rao