An "excercise" problem on clustering...

Folks:
As I mentioned in the last class, here is an example problem on clustering along with solution.

I strongly suggest that you try to do the problem yourself first before looking at the solution.

(Since I am providing the solution, this won't be graded).

By the way, the question asks you to use Bag based similarity

The thing to note here is that the intersection of two bags (containing multiple instances of iterms, say e1 and e2) is
a bag that contains as many e1 as the minimum of e1 in both bags and as many e2 as minimum of e2 in both bags.

So B1= 2 e1, 5e2
B2= 4 e1, 2 e2

B1 .intersection B2 = 2 e1, 2 e2

B1 .union. B2 = 4 e1, 5 e2

Cardinality of a bag is of course the number of items in that bag.