On "consideration" for personal plights good/bad...

I am not sure if my answer to Tahany's question (as to whether the fact that people may have kids--even cuter than my own--ruling their lives) will be taken into "consideration"-- I hope my answer was not too flippant.

Here is my policy, generally, about these matters (as articulated by another colleague in a class he is teaching--which, surprisingly enough--happens to be on the same subject  http://www.cs.washington.edu/education/courses/cse454/02au/policies.html ):

Reasonableness
The "Reasonable Person Principle" applies throughout this course. This principle simply states that a reasonable request made in a reasonable fashion shall be reasonably handled by reasonable persons. The TA's and I are reasonable people: we expect that everybody else involved in this class will be as well.

The point is that  I am aware of (and am resigned to ;-) the fact that people do continue to have lives outside of the class (the nerve of them!), and will do my best to accommodate the vicissitudes of your life, as long as the requests are "reasonable", and you have been reasonable otherwise...

Rao