Fw: attached: project demo instructions

--- Begin Message --- Dr Rao:

If you don't have any comments, then you can just put the page up on the web or send it to the class as an email.

Thanks,
Thomas

Title: CSE494 - Project Demo Instructions

Project Demo Instructions

Purpose:
The purpose of the project demo is for you to demonstrate that your system works correctly for any query and for all of the tasks that you have completed (i.e. Vector space similarity, PageRank, Authorities/Hubs, K-means, and Buckshot). However the emphasis of the demo will be on project parts B and C. It should also be the opportunity for you to show us any features and extra credit tasks that you have added.

Setting:
You can bring your laptop and have everything ready to run for your demo time. If you do not have a laptop, then bring the complete project directory on a CD/USBcard (no internet download) and we will run your project from the lab machines (Windows XP, 2.6GHz, 1GB of RAM). No setting should be required on the lab machines (our classpath will be set so we should only need to copy your project directory onto the lab machine and run your program directly).

Your project directory should include all files necessary to run your project, as well as the source files. Note that you will not be able to compile any source during the demo. If your program does not need the crawledpages directory, you do not need to include it in your directory. Feel free to zip your project directory if necessary.

How to prepare:
The demo time slots are relatively short, so you should make sure that you are there on time and that your system will work in the allotted time. If some of your algorithms require a long computation time (possibly PageRank), you could for instance store the computed data into a file before the demo so that your program only has to read from that file during the demo, instead of having to perform the actual computation at run-time. If you have a laptop, then you could perhaps start the program in advance so that the computation is done prior to the demo and the queries can be asked at demo time.

Demo process:
Since you were asked not to include a hard copy of the output of Project Part C in your project report, we will want to make sure your clustering algorithms work so we will spend some time on that part of the project. We will also be checking you PageRank and A/H results. Your system should be able to handle any keyword query at run-time, not just the sample queries.
--- End Message ---