A clarification re: apt pet example

In the class today, when I showed that the proof attempt at showing that pet(Louie) fails (because he is is neither a
dog, nor a cat nor an elephant), I also said that we backtrack and try another binding for small(x).

Actually, what happens is that we "chronologically" backtrack and try another binding for Skunk(x). In this case there were no more skunks. So, we fail from Skunk,
backtrack and try another binding for small(x).

(this way, if it so happened that there is another skunk Jerry, who is so cuddly that he can be a pet anyway, we will find him as a pet)

rao