RE: my availability tomorrow

At 07:25 AM 10/21/2003, you wrote:

Hi, I have two questions:

(1) Administrivia Question: Is there any restriction on what resources
we can use during the test?  For example, are printed-out homework
solutions considered acceptable?

yes

(2) AI-question: I know you addressed this in class, and I know there
was even supposedly a slide on this, but I looked (even for hidden
slides) and wasn't able to track anything down.  So my questions are:

Say you have three heuristics h*, h1, and h2.
- if the "shape" of, say, h1 is very close to the shape of h* do we then
say that h1 has high "informedness", regardless of the actual distance
between h1 and h*?

no--informedness is a technical defintion having to do with whcih value is bigger.
Given two admissible heuristics h1 and h2, h1 is more informed than h2 if for all nodes
h1(n) >= h2(n)

- suppose h1 has a very close shape to h*, and that h2 is simply a
straight line but for every state input is closer to h*.  Which is a
better heuristic? (I say h1 is better because h2 is simply adding a
constant to every g-value which ultimately doesn't tell us any
information)

h2 is more informed. h1 may be better in practice. The reason is that more informed heuristics
are guaranteed to expand fewer nodes whose f value is less than f*. This doesn't say anything about the nodes
expanded whose f value is _equal to_ f*.  The heuristics  of type h2 tend to put a whole bunch of nodes in the
f=f* level. Since they have to expand, on the average, half of them, before they find the goal node, they can wind up expanding
more nodes over all than h1 (despite the fact that h2 expands fewer interior nodes).

- suppose we leave h1 and h2 where they are, and then we begin to
"tweak" h2 so that it is increasingly similarly-shaped to h*.  Is there
guaranteed to be some point at which h2 is sufficiently similarly shaped
to h* that h2, despite being not quite as similarly-shaped as h1 is
still a better heuristic?

Quite possible.

- finally, is it accurate to say that a "better" heuristic is simply one
that finds the optimal goal state in fewer iterations?

yes

Thanks very much for your time and assistance!

Josh