The names I know...

Today, as I was coming down the stairs, a student stopped me for a
question about project 2 submission. The disconcerting part was that I
had no idea that this person was a student in the class.  This is
pretty unsettling for me--normally I can atleast recognize the face,
if not put a name to the face.

So, I thought I should check which names in the class roster have
corresponding faces in my mind. Here is the list of students, with *s
in front of names I recognize, - in front of names I "sort of"
recognize and ? in front of the rest--who are unknown to me at this
point :-(

Note that most of the names I recognize fall into a couple of
categories--

(a) they are active participants in the class--they ask questions
(b) they asked questions outside the class
(c) they are active sleepers/state-press readers in the class and
(d) they were known to me before, or are somehow easily marked.

Of course, I don't know everyone that falls into these classes either.

I count 24 *s, 5 -'s and 18 ?'s. Would be nice if I manage to whittle
down the ?'s (if for no other reason then to be able to call someone
by their name and wake 'em up when they fall asleep at my apparently
sonorous voice ;-)

Rao [Oct 16, 2003]

ps: As I write this mail, I am reminded of passages from an articler
called "Harvard Guide to Happiness"--FYI, here is the URL.

http://web.engr.oregonstate.edu/~tadepall/advising/harvardGuide.html

=======================names i know==================================
?MULLINS 	JOHN 	RYAN
*DOW 	ERIN 	ELIZABETH