Re: Question related to previous lecture.

Opponent modeling is done a lot of time (and for games like Poker, it is pretty much de rigueur. )

It may be less critical in chess where, at least at the grand master level, "optimal opponent" is a reasonable assumption.

I don't off hand know whether Deep Blue did opponent modeling to any extent--the classic reference on
Deep Blue is this paper:

http://commonsenseatheism.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Campbell-Deep-Blue.pdf

Rao