An exam so nice, some do it twice... or the low-down on the at-home version of the in-class exam...

The at-home-version-of-the-in-class-exam (ahvotice) is a pedagogical innovation
next only to the socket-open-socket-close-homework-assignments and blunt-force-trauma-causing
thinking-cap questions. Here is the standard FAQ on ahvotice

0. What are the ground rules for doing this--

Only that (a) you work independently and (b) you
submit it at the beginning of the class
on Tuesday 3/24

1. Can I just do the parts that I thought I didn't do well in the in-class version?

No. The at-home and in-class versions are graded as full papers.

2. Do I lose anything if I don't do it at home?

No (okay--you do lose the satisfaction of doing it twice;-). Your
grade in in-class will stand.

3. How is the effective midterm grade computed?

Eff = max( in-class; w*in-class+(1-w)*at-home )

4. What is the range of w?

0.5 < w <1

(typical values in the past ranged between .6 and .666)

5. But if everyone else does it at home and improve their grade, and
I decide to watch Simpsons/Seinfeld reruns instead, don't I lose out?

No. First of all, *nobody* ever loses out by watching reruns of Simpsons (Channel 6, weeknights 10 & 10:30) and
Seinfeld (Channel 10; week nights 10:30 and again at 11:30).

The difference between your inclass score and the Eff score will be
considered as your _extra credit_ on the mid term (and thus those
points wont affect grade cutoffs).

6. How do you device these ludicrously complex schemes?

Well, I had a relaxing spring break ;-)

7. Okay. I have no life outside of this course anyways. Tell me where I can find the exam?

Here: http://rakaposhi.eas.asu.edu/cse471/s09-midterm-athome.pdf

Rao