followups from today's class..

1. While I said the course will focus on AI as "Acting rationally", I tried at least a few times, on why it is useful to consider the human angle
 (acting like humans, thinking like humans etc) at least as long as we are interested in having AI systems co-exist with humans. For an elaboration
 of this argument, here is a talk on "human-aware AI" that I gave sometime back:
http://rakaposhi.eas.asu.edu/uw-haai-talk.ppt (and audio: http://rakaposhi.eas.asu.edu/rao-uw-talk.WAV )

2. With respect to the list of AI applications I asked you to think whether they are currently feasible or not, here is a little graphic that AAAI
(association for the advancement of AI) made recently to give an idea of the AI landscape (and the kind of applications currently feasible)
http://www.aaai.org/Magazine/Poster/ailandscape.jpg  (the emphasis was a bit more on the day-to-day life than stuff like planetary exploration
but still it will give you an inkling for various subfield buzzwords)

rao

ps: Here is the seinfeld episode where Uncle Leo is misunderstood just because he had menacing eyebrows stenciled on his face..
      http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/ThePackage.htm

      Also, my magellan question is a bit incorrect. It should have said "Magellan made three voyages; in one of them he died.." He actually
      circumnavigated the earth only in the last voyage--but for half of that voyage he was dead (after a battle in Philippines)
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_Magellan