Re: Scalar Clustering

At 02:48 PM 4/1/2001 -0700, A wrote:
>     I had question concerning scalar clustering and the project.  Would
> it not be better to use associative vectors to determine revelant terms
> when you only have one word in a query.  Because when you use scalar
> cluster vectors and there is only word in the query you either get a 1 or
> 0, either a word is related or it is not.  At least with the associative
> vectors you get some value between 0 and 1 and from this you could
> determine how related the term is.  I don't see the advantage of using
> scalar clustering over associative.

Actually, the number of query words has no impact on whether you should do
scalar or associative clustering. Consider the query "Data". It may well be
that by doing clustering on the set of top few docs that were returned for
the query "data", we figure out that
"structure" and "Algorithm" are correlated with this query.

Rao