Gentle reminders regarding attendance and attentiveness

This is just a gentle reminder, for those of you who need it (see below), that attendance and attentiveness are not optional but mandatory for this class.

This particular reminder is triggered by (1) the sighting of a couple of people staring into their laptops and/or cell phones all through the class (you know who you are; and thanks to the roster mug shots, so do I ;-)  and (2) the apparent absence of  about 10 people who are currently shown to be registered and did not  sign the attendance sheet today.

Regarding 1, while I try my best not to single out people during the class to avoid embarrassment and  disruption to the class flow, it does distract me. Regarding 2, remember that you are supposed to let me know *beforehand* if you must miss the class for unavoidable reasons.

thanks for your cooperation

regards
Rao