From: Subbarao Kambhampati <rao@asu.edu>
To:  cse471-f03@parichaalak.eas.asu.edu
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 08:52:33 -0700
Subject: Admissible heuristic for letter grades...

People started asking me for letter grades.
Your final letter grades will be available sometime next week online.

However, I think it is reasonable to give you a lowerbound on your grade.
Here then is an admissible--and reasonably informed (since I am making it
;-) heuristic on estimating your grade:

For Graduate students:

If your cumulative is >80% your lower bound grade will be an A

Above 70, lowerbound grade is B.

For UG students:

If your cumulative is >75% your  lower bound grade will be an A

if your cumulative is > 65, your lowerbound grade will be B

if your cumulative is >50, your lowerbound grade will be C

if your cumulative is >35, your lowerbound grade will be D

else E.

***In both cases, if your cumulative+extra credit pushes you over a threshold, then
you get that higher grade.

Rao

ps: I am willing to take comments  from people about grade thresholds that
are _below_ the category they
are in (i.e., A folks can tell me whether the A,B,C thresholds should be
changed. B folks can tell me if B and C thresholds can be changed
and so on). You can comment on whether the current thresholds are too
generous or too tight etc.

(The top part is graduate and the bottom part is UG in the bitmap below)

33d7f595.jpg