If boolean queries are hard for people what about SQL?

Here is a paradox.

--We said that database folks don't quite need to deal with precision recall issues since it is clear what the answers are for a query, and every database manager must find all answers (and the one that finds them fast wins..)

--We then said today that one of the reasons boolean model is not very popular in IR is because users have hard time translating their queries into boolean logic

--now, SQL, by any stretch of imagination is more complex than boolean logic

--and yet apparently database users have no trouble converting their queries into SQL queries, while IR users can't even handle boolean logic

Why is this?

Rao