TLPlan/SHOP comparison [Please send your reports to rsanchez@asu.edu]

I just completed going through the TLPLAN/SHOP comparison reports. It was quite an interesting experience.
The comparison results were mixed ot say the least!

Some people found SHOP to be better for their domain while other found TLPLAN to be better. The numbers were almost
equal.

While everyone agreed that SHOP forces full procedural control, some felt that it is not all that easy to provide such procedural control for their
domains. Some of these latter group felt that TLPLAN's search control rules are harder to come up with and write for their domain.

Some people found TLPLAN manuals to be cleaner while others found SHOP manuals to be cleaner/easier to understand ;-)

Overall, there is no landslide for either planner.

Although almost all of you had to spend a significant amount of time converting the domains to TLPLAN and SHOP languages, there was
remarkably little consensus against domain-specific control knowledge. Most people seemed to think that allowing
expression and use of such domain specific control knowledge
is a useful thing

I would request all of you to send your reports and domain descriptions to Romeo (rsanchez@asu.edu)--so he and I can make them available again for everyone to read.
[The same way you did it for the first project].

Rao

ps: I will return the "graded" reports in class on Monday.