Midterm marks spread

Folks:
 The midterm marks spread was

Max: 80/80
Min: 6/80
Avg: ~40ish

The full xcel spreadsheet is with Romeo (which for some reason he cannot email to me!)--Romeo--can you send the Avg/st dev directly?

I was somewhat surprised at the low marks as I thought it was a fairly straightforward exam that might bore you..

Which brings us to your perceptions. As per the numbers you gave today (listed below; summarized here)

Raw data for first qn "for most people, the midtem probably fairly tests their understanding of material covered in the semester" (-5 to +5 scale)

 The mean: 2.17  median: 2   Max: 5 Min: -4 Stdev: 2.03

Raw data for second qn "My performance in the midterm can be taken to be indicative of my understanding of what has been covered in the class until now"

 mean: 0.7  median: 1  Max: 5 Min: -5  Stdev: 3.35

[After adding the "incumbent" factor (+1.5), the "turnout" factor (+0.57) and the "cell phone" factor (+4), the mean and median for both questions come to 6.78.

Also, the predicted effectiveness of the overall exam--using the Gibson's poisson equation (Cosh(Mean(q1))+log(|Stdev(q1)-stdev(q2)|)+ 1/log(1) )--
works out to +infinity (+/- 5 percentage points).

]

Rao

 "It's not a good idea to change horses on the way to the Apocalypse."

3 3
2 4
1 0
3 -1