Everything you ever wanted to know about at-home-version-of-the-in-class-exam (but were too tired to ask)

The at-home-version-of-the-in-class exam is a pedagogical innovation next only to the
socket-open-socket-close-homework-assignments (and are apparently just as confusing ;-)

Here is a FAQ on the ahvotic

1. Do I lose anything if I don't do it at home?

No (okay--you do lose your time;-). Your grade in in-class will stand.

2. How is the effective midterm grade computed?

 Eff = max( in-class;  w*in-class+(1-w)*at-home )

3. What is the range of w?

 0.5 < w <1 (think of in-class as the g-value and at-home as the h-value; I am ensuring admissibility ;-)
(typical values in the past ranged between .6 and .666)

4. But if everyone else does it at home and improves their grade, and I decide to watch Seinfeld reruns, don't I lose out?

No. First of all, nobody ever loses out by watching Seinfeld reruns (Channel 10; week nights 10:30).

The difference between  your inclass score and the Eff score will be
considered as your _extra credit_ on the mid term (and thus those points wont affect grade cutoffs).

5. How do you device these ludicrously complex schemes?

This is the only way of making Xcel do some real work.

Rao