Everest...

Regarding the unexpected detour on Everest (and Indian plate pushing under the Asian plate) yesterday--
you might be interested to know that for a while in 1997, people thought that the peak K2 in western Himalaya (in
the Karakoram range in Pakistan) is actually taller than Everest. This was arrived at by taking a GPS instrument
to the peak of K2 and using satellite info to measure its height. However, subsequent more careful measurements
showed that Everest is indeed still the tallest (and is growing at a slightly higher rate than K2 to boot).

There is really neat NOVA program called "Taller than Everest"  ( http://scolar.vsc.edu:8003/VSCCAT/ABV-8008; I have a copy )
that tells the story of how the original measurements were made by an indian survery worker in early 20th century, and
how the more detailed measurements were made in 1999 (and how accurate the original trigonometric measurements from
100 miles away were).

I am no climber (I get queasy walking on scree on Kaibab trail!), but I read that K2 is considered a much harder mountain to climb than
Everest. In fact climbing the 2nd tallest mountain on each continent is considered to be much harder than climbing the tallest mountain
on each continent..

Anyways...

Rao

---------

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.

    --Monty Python (Spanish Inquisition)
      http://www.ai.mit.edu/people/paulfitz/spanish/script.html