Fwd: Hung's defense

Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 22:30:15 -0700 (MST)
From: hung@asu.edu
Subject: Hung's defense
To: ailab1@asu.edu
vnguye1@imap1.asu.edu using -f

Hi all,
It gives me a pleasure to invite you to my MS defense on this Thursday, Dec 12
at GWC 308, starting from 12 p.m.
Please, come and "torture" me with questions :).

Viet Hung
-----------------------
Abstract: The current World Wide Web has over 3.3 billion pages but most of
these pages are in human-readable format only (i.e., HTML pages). These web
pages encompass about 15 terabytes of information or about 6 terabytes of text
after removing HTML tags, comments and white space. Because machines cannot
understand and process information in this format automatically, much of the
potential of the Web has so far remained untapped.
Recently, researchers have introduced the vision of the Semantic Web in which
data has structure and ontologies describe the semantics of data. Lots of text
data now on the Web are stored as structured text. In addition, new
technologies, such as information extraction and XML (eXtensible Markup
Language), will massively increase the amount of structured text available.
Ontologies are increasingly necessary for exchanging, retrieving and combining
information, especially structured information in the context of the semantic
web whilst maintaining consistency and rigorousness of the data amongst web
agents. The importance of ontologies in the vision of semantic web motivated
us with the idea of how to use the ontology of a domain to combine and
integrate structured data efficiently while maintaining the structural as well
as data consistency. This work is aimed at developing new techniques and an
automated tool called O-XMerge (Ontology driven XML Merging) for analyzing and
merging information and data that are represented in the form of structured
text such as XML. Specifically, this work will investigate the merging and the
combination of XML documents according to different criteria, based on
computational ontology.