Re: Google toolbar

From: kanav <kanav@asu.edu>
Subject: Google toolbar
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 14:22:55 -0700

kanav> Dear Sir If you install the new version of google toolbar and
kanav> complete installation you get a cool graphic for every web page
kanav> visited showing its page rank. you can put yourmouse over that
kanav> and get a numerical measure. yahoo for e.g. has 10/10 cnn 9/10
kanav> and google itself is also 10/10. With no intention of getting
kanav> to your nerves cse494 has a rank of only 3/10. guess we can all
kanav> collaborate and get it higher! Your homepage does better with
kanav> 5/10.  regards Kanav

Well--it is surprising that my homepage does better than the class
page--given that the class page gets way more hits (especially the
last few days...)

This is where our friend Viet Hung's oft-repeated idea of using the
hit rate rather than back links as a means of judging importance makes
sense--I guess. [In general this issue shows up in bibliometrics
too.. if paper 1 is read by a million folks, but none of them wrote
any papers themselves, and paper 2 is read by three people who wrote
100 papers and cited this one in it, then paper 2 will be considered
to have "more impact" by citation index, compared to paper 1].

Rao

ps: In answer to whether I have the full Google toolbar, I used to
have it with advanced options etc, but some systems faculty
convinced me that it is too much of an intrusion. So, I have it in the
non-advanced form right now.