Participation credit and other hazards of "interactive" classes :-(

Someone asked me how I plan to evaluate you folks on the 15% participation credit.

My current plan is to give you a mid-term participation grade as well as a final participation grade.
The grade will depend on (a) active participation (b) attendance

I will measure the active participation in terms of your class involvement, and keeping up with readings.
Since mouth is afterall the window to the brain, both these are based on clarificatory questions you ask, discussions you participate in and (rhetorical) questions you answer.

I will measure the attendance using the obvious metrics--your percentage attendance, and how often you show up late. (Classes missed with prior notice and/or for medical reasons will be considered appropriately).

I realize that the second factor looks sort of grade-schoolish--but then I didn't particularly expect to see various subsets of faces missing various meetings in a senior/grad level class ;-)

I have a pretty good memory for faces, and I should be able to judge both these factors quite reasonably, I think.

regards
Rao