*Important*--Plan for the last three classes

Folks:
 Here is the plan for the last three classes of cse 471. Please make
 sure to read it as there are somethings that you need to prepared
 for.

27th Nov: Tuesday:
  We will talk about Decision tree learning and neural network
  learning--in continuation of classification learning.

  *Please* read at least the decision tree learning algorithm in
Chapter 18 before coming to the class. If possible, read the
perceptron learning algorithm from Chapter 19 too.

   **If you have not picked up the handouts of the chapters in the
   class on last Tuesday, you can pick them up from outside my office
   (GWC 374)--they are in two separate inter-office envelopes outside
   my door**

   I will also take a poll on in-class vs. take-home final.

29th Nov: Thursday:
   Guest lecture by Prof. Huan Liu
   (http://www.public.asu.edu/~huanliu)
   Current plan is to have Prof. Liu give a guest lecture on an
   overview of datamining. As I mentioned in last class, datamining
   can be seen to some extent  as an application of classification
   learning algorithms to  large scale databases holding transaction
   histories of customers etc.  So, this guest lecture will provide a
   nice continuation of  machine learning discussion.

    Datamining is Prof. Liu's primary
   research area, and he will be offering a graduate level course on
   this topic in spring (you can ask him questions about the course
   too).
   (Rao will be off in Bay area).

4th December: Tuesday:

  10-40--11:15 --> Tying up the looseends in learning (e.g. completing
  the discussion of neural network learning alogirhms)

  11:15--11:45  --> *Interactive* review of the semester
      --Instead of me reviewing what we did the entire semester, I
      will ask _each_ of you, in some random order, to describe a
      topic/idea/algorithm/insight
      that you particularly enjoyed during the semester and why. You
      needn't talk for more than 30sec--1minute.

      Since I don't know what order I will call on the students, it
      would be best if you prepare a list of upto three topics that
      you liked, so that when you are called on, you have at least one
      topic that no one else had mentioned.

  11:45--11:55 --> CEAS teaching evaluation forms (rao leaves)

Please plan to be present on time for the classes. We may also be
going a couple of minutes over on the first and third classes.

Rao
Subbarao Kambhampati
Professor, Dept. of Comp Sci. and Engg. Arizona State University,
Tempe, AZ 85287-5406  rao@asu.edu (email)
480-965-0113 (Phone)
480-965-2751 (FAX)
WWW: http://rakaposhi.eas.asu.edu